Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Review for Just Remember to Breathe

★★★★★
Just Remember to Breathe
Synopsis
Alex Thompson’s life is following the script. A pre-law student at Columbia University, she’s focused on her grades, her life and her future. The last thing she needs is to reconnect with the boy who broke her heart.

Dylan Paris comes home from Afghanistan severely injured and knows that the one thing he cannot do is drag Alex into the mess he’s made of his life.

When Dylan and Alex are assigned to the same work study program and are forced to work side by side, they have to make new ground rules to keep from killing each other.

Only problem is, they keep breaking the rules.

The first rule is to never, ever talk about how they fell in love.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just Remember to Breathe is the second book in the Thompson sisters series and a really, really great read! The first book in the series, A Song For Julia, is a favorite of mine and I would really recommend that as well! There were a few editing issues I had with this book (one less sister than was in the book before-- with no explanation. And the names of both the family-- huge deal-- and a club that they frequented were somehow changed later in the book (??), as well as the boyfriend of one of characters) that really bothered me, but overall I loved the feel of it and the messages I took from it.
 
This is a heartwarming story about forgiveness, second chances, and self-acceptance. First, we have Dylan, who was injured in Afghanistan, trying to deal with PTSD and living life as a civilian again. It was very easy to get drawn into his story and really feel for him and his situation.
 
“Don't you get it? Can you imagine the...the heroism? That's what grace is all about. He didn't even think for one second about himself. All he thought about was that little girl, and saving her life.”
 
Then we have Alex, who is just trying to get back to normal after her breakup with Dylan, trying to focus on her future, and dealing with her very demanding family. She is strong and determined and very relatable.
 
“You don't get to decide what's to big a risk for me. You don't decide what's good for me and what isn't. That's my decision, Dylan. If you care about me so much, then how dare you do this all by yourself? I choose not to destroy my present because of the risk of a future that might or might not happen.You should think about that."
 
They're thrown back into each other's lives and neither is really happy about it. They have to figure out a way to deal with each other, as well as all of the other problems in their lives. I liked the fact that he wrote two very smart, mature characters who really made an effort to work through their issues. I loved the supporting characters, they all had something special to bring to this book. Between A Song For Julia and Just Remember to Breathe, this is an author that really grabbed my attention and I can't wait to read more from him!

“When I'm ninety, I want you to tell me that it's my turn to ask you a question, and if that miracle happens, then my question is going to be, 'Do you still love me?' and I hope that answer will still be yes.”
 
On that note, I just have two words-- INDEX CARDS-- Read it, you'll see! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...