Saturday, January 26, 2013

Review of RULE by Jay Crownover

 
★★★★
Rule (Rule #1)
 
Synopsis:
 
I had loved Rule Archer since the first moment I ever laid eyes on him. He was everything I shouldn't want and the only person I went out of my way to not try and please. He only saw me as a brat, and an entitled, stuck up princess but worse than that all he saw when he looked at me was his deceased twin's girl. It broke my heart because as much as I had loved Remy Archer there was never anything romantic between us and no matter how hard I tried to convince myself that loving Rule was a terrible idea, my poor heart just wouldn't listen. We tolerated each other, barely and had forged an uneasy alliance until one night I had too much to drink and changed the way we were forever. Suddenly life long secrets were no longer hidden and the one thing I always wanted for myself seemed obtainable as long as I was willing to go through hell to hold onto it.

Shaw Landon was a class act and I had no idea what to do with her. She was tied to my family, tied to the person that was my other half so I tolerated her and her haughty attitude when I didn't have any other choice. What I didn't know was that a short skirt and too many cocktails on her birthday was going to change my outlook on her for the rest of my life. Some people thought I hid behind all my tattoos and piercings, that I tried to distance myself from my dead twin, Shaw saw through it all and wasn't scared of what was underneath. We weren't supposed to be together, weren't supposed to be anything but uncomfortable acquaintances but that all changed in the blink of an eye. Now I had to figure out just how a girl like her and a guy like me were supposed to be in love without destroying each other. Add in her custom made ex and two disapproving sets of parents and the whole situation sounded like it was more trouble then it was worth.
_________________________________________________________________
 
Well, the synopsis covers a good bit of what the story is about, so I won't go crazy with details here in an effort to avoid spoilers. I really enjoyed this book! Shaw was a really wonderful character. She was oblivious to how beautiful she was. She was smart, driven, compassionate. Her only flaw, really, was that she put EVERYONE before herself. She did everything she could to make everyone around her happy, often times in detriment to herself. Her family life wasn't great. Her parents were distant and cold. They were all about appearances and would force Shaw into uncomfortable situations with no regard for her feelings or happiness. But despite her upbringing, she managed to be a kind and loving person. She had a lot of love to offer and only thought it right that she be loved equally in return.
 
Rule is his own person. He does what he wants, when he wants, and makes no apologies for his behavior. He's tattooed, pierced, and has an overall bad attitude. He has major issues with his parents, who don't agree with his choices-- especially his mother, who openly blames him for his twin brother's death and considers him a poor substitute for the son she lost. Neither Rule, nor Shaw have shining examples in their lives of what love should be about, so when they finally get together, they have a rough road ahead of them.
 
This book definitely brought on the tears many times (but what doesn't with me, really? lol). It's a story about self-acceptance, about forgiveness. It's a story about learning to love yourself, love others, and letting yourself BE loved. I loved all of the supporting characters in this book. Rule's older brother, Rome, as well as Shaw's best friend, Ayden, were both great characters-- very loving, supportive-- and I really enjoyed their interactions in the book. Overall, I give this book a solid 4 stars and I can't wait to read more from this author!
 
Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book:
 
“I almost saw your boyfriend naked this morning.”
I laughed at the look on her face. “I don’t know what to say to that, you’re welcome?”
 
“It’s always been you even when I didn’t want it to be, even when it broke my heart over and over again. It’s just always been you.”
 
“I think it’s genetically impossible not to be kind of in love with him when you come equipped with a vagina. It’s just something about all that angsty, moody swagger he has that makes you want to cuddle him up and make him feel better.”
 
“I don’t care what color your hair is, if you’re pale or tan, if you have makeup on or just woke up all I care about is that when I look at you, you always look back and see me. You’re beautiful inside and out and if you wanted to tattoo all that pretty white skin from head to toe I would be honored to put it there for you but if not I’ll take you all smooth and milky white any chance I get.”

1 comment:

  1. This is on my list to read. I just heard about it. New follower here. Found you on Goodreads. I love the look of your blog! This is me, http://robgirlbooks.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...